Black Friday Sale 2017 – on sale for $49 (usual price: $79)
Fluid Shorts is based around performance-sourced off-the-string spiccatos with a smaller string ensemble (8/6/4/3). The instruments are built to function well in moderate repetition, by way of performances that have been deconstructed from phrases into playable multi-samples.
- True repetition sampling | Derived from performance phrases
- Manually timed for consistency
- Four individual sections: 8 violins, 6 violas, 4 cellos, and 3 basses
- Predominantly principle musicians
- Recorded in an ambient hall with close, decca, and wide mic positions
- Section unity – all musicians performing on the same session
- Three dynamic layers (two on basses), from moderately soft to FFF
- Up to 7 RR attacks
- Three delay levels: normal (127 ms), tight (80 ms), and ultra-tight (30 ms)
- CC1/mod-wheel controls ambience/decay
- 48kHz / 24bit
- NCW-compressed, ~2.57 GB total
- Built for Kontakt 5.5.1 and above – full, retail version of Kontakt required
- Download via Continuata
Normal: these patches have the suggested patch delay for general use – 127 ms. While they’re probably a lot more delayed than you’re used to with shorts, these patches allow the performance repetition bowings more time to breathe. Better for repeating notes and chordal beds where pitch change and flexibility isn’t as important.
Tight: alternative “tight” patches with a delay of 80 ms. Ideal for lines which move between pitches rather than just repeating on one.
Ultra-Tight: new in v1.1, these have 30 ms delay and are for sketching, etc.
Set your track delay to -127 ms, -80 ms, or -30 ms depending on the patches you’re using, so you can quantize your MIDI and it will be on the beat.
- No noise reduction (predominantly noticeable on the basses)
- Somewhat audible crossfade/grafts for the decays, because of room ambience and decay sharing between attacks (if this bothers you, you can alleviate some of it with closer mics and/or editing the adsr decay)
- Patches aren’t as tight as most are used to for sampled shorts – to preserve the bowing from the performances. However, they’re quite consistent.
- There is some level of ambience-bleed / “bump” on the attacks if they’re played in standalone isolation or you’re using mostly ambient mics (the wide and, to a lesser extent, the decca).
v1.0 – Initial release.
v1.1 – Mod-wheel (CC1) ambience/decay control added, as well as ultra-tight (30 ms) patches. Some other minor envelope changes as well.
As of mid-July 2017, current owners will have received a link for the v1.1 update. New purchases have v1.1 included automatically.